Today on Engineering Newswire, brought to you by Interpower, the premier supplier of power system components for worldwide markets, we’re hailing the gods of robot rock, taking care of business in a smart potty, and building a firewall with spandex. This episode features:
- Compressorhead is a band of robots that brings a whole new definition to the term “metal head”. The robots are not only preprogrammed for listening perfection, but they actually play their instruments.
- Firewall is a stretched sheet of spandex that acts as a performance membrane which — when activated — creates fire-like visuals and expressively plays music.
- The RoBo 3D printer is the latest consumer focused 3D printer to raise a lot of money in very little time on Kickstarter.com. The printer will enter the market looking to challenge MakerBot’s Replicator 2.
- Researchers at Purdue University are creating a new system for doctors to browse medical images during surgical procedures using only their hand gestures — it should help decrease the risk of spreading infection-causing bacteria.
- At CES this year, a lot of strange gadgets made their debut. One in particular, the iPotty, seeks to make the toilet-training experience easier by allowing parents to attach an iPad to the plastic potty.
For more information on Interpower, visit: http://www.interpower.com/ic/.
Do you have story ideas? Comment below or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll cover them in an upcoming episode.