Smallest Point-of-Load DC/DC Converters for Harsh Environments
Texas Instruments (TI) (Dallas, TX) has introduced the industry’s smallest monolithic Point-Of-Load (POL) DC/DC converters for harsh environments, including radiation tolerant, geological, heavy industrial, and oil and gas applications. The 6.3-V, 6-A TPS50601 and the 6.3-V, 3-A TPS50301 are synchronous step-down converters optimized for small form factor designs.
The devices’ current mode control, high switching frequency, and integration of the high- and low-side MOSFETs slash board space by 50 percent compared to other solutions, reducing the size of equipment needed for tight spaces, such as down-hole drilling. Features include:
- Peak efficiency of up to 95 percent results in lower heat dissipation.
- Design flexibility: 100-kHz to 1-MHz switching frequency and optimized compensation scheme.
- Reduced board space: High efficiency, optimal layout and dynamic bias reduce the size and number of output capacitors, and improve transient response.
- More than 12-watts-per-square-inch power.
- High reliability: The TPS50301 is qualified up to +210 degrees-C for high temperature applications, while the TPS50601 is qualified up to +125 degrees-C for harsh environments with QMLV/RHA qualifications pending.
- Higher-current operation: Designers can use two devices in parallel to double the output current.
For more information visit: www.ti.com/tps50601-pr